Hands up who’s pleased F1 is back this weekend?
Did anyone else think that four weeks felt like for ever??
Of course with it being race week, that means it’s time for another F1 Bake Off challenge.
Belgium? Belgium? First thing you think of is either chocolate, waffles or beer!
But, on further investigation I found a traditional Belgian dessert called a Stofé which is popular sweet cheesecake originating from the city of Wavre in Belgium’s French Wallonian region. Cottage cheese, or in Walloon stofé, is blended with meringue and bitter and sweet almonds and poured over a bed of sliced apples.
And with Stoffel Vandoorne racing on the grid, I thought this had to be the perfect baking challenge for this week. And who doesn’t like a cheesecake??
This recipe is taken from the website expatica.com
- 10/12 macaroons (those small amaretti biscuits)
- 2 big apples (like Jonagold …)
- 1/2 tablespoon of flour
- 2 eggs
- 5 drops of almond extract
- 250 g lean white cheese
- 75 g of fine sugar
- leavened dough for 1 pie
- Preheat the oven to 180C / Gas Mark 4 / 160C Fan
- If you have a recipe for leavened dough prepare enough for 1 pie and let it rise for 30 minutes
- If you don’t, like me, just use a normal cheesecake base
- Crush 175g of digestive biscuits
- Melt 75g of butter
- Add the crushed biscuits and mix
- Put into the base of a pie/flan dish and pop in the fridge to ‘set’
- Meanwhile, prepare the “stofé” (cheese) preparation:
- Separate 2 eggs
- Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks
- Into another bowl add the 2 egg yolks, the cheese, sugar and almond extract and beat together
- Gently add the egg whites
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of plain flour and fold in
- Take the pie/flan dish out of the fridge
- Grate/crush the macaroons and cover the biscuit base
- Peel and slice the apples and cover the macaroons
- Pour over the ‘cheese’ mixture
- NOTE – if you are using leavened dough, let it rise again for 30 minutes
- Pop into the pre-heated oven and cook for 20 minutes
As Janice from ‘Friend’s’ would say: “Oh! My! God!”
This is one seriously scrumptious cheesecake…
… and here’s the video…