Today sees another F1 Christmas Bake Off.
This time, we move over the border into Finland to make ‘Joulutortut’ (pronounced ‘YOL-dor-TU’).
These Christmas Star cookies, are literally just puff pastry jam tarts shaped into stars, although the authentic recipe calls for prune jam! I was not brave enough to use prune, so I turned to the jar of strawberry jam I had in the cupboard!
With only 3 ingredients needed, how could I possibly go wrong with this?
The recipe is an amended version, taken from the website ‘curiouscuisiniere.com’
- Packet of ready-made puff pastry
- Strawberry jam
- 1 egg, beaten
- Icing sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 220 C / 425 F /200 Fan /Gas Mark 7
- Lightly flour your countertop and roll out the dough to a rectangle (roughly 12 x 9 inches) that is about an 1/8 inch thick
- Cut the dough into 3-inch squares
- In each square, make four cuts, one from each corner, each going 1/2 – 2/3 of the way to the center of the square
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of jam in the center of each square
- Fold every other corner of each square over the jam
- Use the beaten egg wash to moisten the corners slightly and lightly press to seal the corners together over top of the jam
- Transfer your pinwheel cookie to a parchment lined baking sheet, placing the cookies 1 inch apart
- Lightly brush the tops of the cookies with the beaten egg
- Bake the cookies 10-12 minutes, until golden
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely
- Once the cookies are cool, dust them lightly with powdered sugar
- Store the cookies in an air-tight container on the counter for 3-4 days
Super simple to make and very tasty.
And here’s the video, just in case you want to have a go 😉